Monday 3 August 2009

The proof - and what next?

Well here's the proof from last Sunday - the Garmin readout of my 13.14 mile run round Milton Keynes

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/9812864

And here is proof of my finishing time:

http://www.racetimingsystems.com/franchised/results.aspx?raceid=838&emanagerid=33

I'm still amazingly proud that I can run half marathons now - twelve months ago this blog started and I could barely run a minute. But I'm wary of a few things

- I'm slow. Really slow. If you sort the finishers in reverse order, I come on the first page. I beat only 8% of runners home, and only 4.6% of all men
- I finish with energy left in the tank. I've finished two half marathons and a full marathon now, and in each case I could have done more, having finished without pushing myself to its limit.
- Combine those two facts - look at the splits I ran - I can go faster.

I think if I'm to continue, my goal has to be to run faster - do I have a 2 hour half marathon in me? Or can I at least try and train for one and get a respectable 2:05 or 2:10?

As I finished, delighted with my 2:29, the prizegiving was happening for all the different age categories. Now I didn't go to win any prizes, but the leading woman was not there as she'd long since gone home for a shower and a cup of tea. And the over 60s womens category was won in 2:11, fully 18 minutes faster than me. By the only over 60 woman in the whole field!

I haven't decided my running future yet but I've spent 8 days now not running and eating lots of cake. It surprises me to announce it, but I want to run on, run regular and run faster.

Well, run on a bit anyway!

4 comments:

TFO said...

Do keep on running on. make your goals sensible and achievable, and with a little hard work a sub 2 hour run is well within your limits.
best of luck.
Andy

Sally said...

Ahh, zis cake has my blessing!

You are so capable of a two hour half and now you've blogged it it has to happen. Looking forward to joining you on the journey.

Sally

Claire said...

I'm full of admiration for anybody that can go change their lifestyle (and their outlook on stuff too) and at the same time make a difference. I'm sure I've said to you before that although it's not my thing, I would love to sponsor you next time you run for charity! Keep going Neil - and keep setting yourself achievable goals and I'll keep supporting you :o) Good luck!

Cathy said...

Hi Neil
My guess is that what you need to do is to put in some shorter, faster runs during the week. Find a route that currently takes you 30 minutes, and work on bringing down the time. You need to be feeling sick when you finish - that way you know you pushed it to the limit. I'd lay a tenner that if you do this, you'll achieve the 2-hour half-marathon. Running at the same pace over longer distances won't do the trick... Good Luck