Tuesday 12 May 2009

From London to the City of Dreams

Well my last post this time last week was celebrating 20 minutes on the treadmill, but that remained all I have done since London. 16 days seems like such a long time, and the question posed last week - "what next?" still remains.

I was wondering at the time whether to enter the Blenheim 7K race last Sunday. As it happens, a cold put paid to that (described variously as everything from sniffles, through swine 'flu, to fullblown man-'flu ... note order of increasing seriousness). So my newfound online running friends Simon, Tash and Cristin, who were all there and had a great day, I'm sure our paths will cross another time.

Today I planned a 3.5 mile run, but was realistic enough to know it may not happen. My marathon running habits have stopped already. Yes, today I went for pasta salad at lunch, bought myself an extra 5pm sandwich, and prepared to leave work on the dot ready for my run. But when I was a marathon runner I wouldn't have had the extra 2 shortbread biscuits, slice of cake and five strong black coffees.

The run was hard work - I feel I need to learn how to run again, but reminded myself that the first mile was always the hardest. My last run on the street was down Pall Mall in front of thousands of people alongside Spongebob Squarepants. Today was Bicester ring road in front of four cows and a dead badger. In the end I decided there was no need to do the full 3.5 miles I intended, this run is just to blow away the cobwebs. So I ran for 10 minutes, turned round and ran back. Irritatingly it took 11 minutes to run back, but I'll put that down to the wind ...

Apart from getting back into running I don't have an aim now. So that's about to change - I've put in for a half marathon at the end of July in the self-styled City of Dreams. Er, Milton Keynes.

No comments: