Friday 1 May 2009

London Marathon photos and thank yous

So it's a few days after the marathon, how am I feeling? Physically absolutely fine. It doesn't seem fair, as friends are still only now starting to walk without hobbles or still nursing aches. Mentally ... still on a high. The reactions, the plaudits, the congratulations, I have loved it, and still do! The whole day was unforgettable. If there's a post-marathon blues, you'll have to wait till a later post as I haven't got there yet.

So instead, some photos from the day ...






Before the start, suncream glistening





At 19 miles





Just 800 yards to go ...






Tired and proud



So many people I would like to thank for getting me to the start line and beyond, to the finish line and to my ultimate achievement. Apologies in advance to anyone I've forgotten ...

First of all my family - hoping my wife Lorna wasn't too much of a running widow over the last several months, thank you for your support and for coming down on the day too! And my parents who also came to support me (at Silverstone too), and my aunt and uncle Brian and Margaret for putting up me up for the weekend and coping with a 5:30am start. And not family, but was really chuffed to see my great friends Phil and Louise travel all the way from home to London just for a few glimpses, that meant a lot too.

Then there are those who offered mutual support, encouragement and friendship as we all entered into this marathon together. e-Marathoners Phil, Ulen, Sam, Dan, James, Becca, Si, Julia, and many others. Particular mention to Phil who maintained all of this support despite dropping out himself through injury - good luck in 2010 Phil, rooting for you already!

The Save the Rhino team offered great support up to and on the day, no other runners got free bagels, Tusker beer and a massage as their reward for completion! Thanks to Laurence and the team, and the runners I knew best and supported me most in the lead up to the event: Stephanie, Jane and Emma.

Thanks to my co-runner Becki who could have got a mention in either of the above paragraphs but deserves one to herself. For her company for 13 miles of Silverstone and 13 miles of London, at my pace that's 5 hours of putting up with me and making long runs much easier - your journey has been as immense as mine in different ways, you are a good friend now, thank you!

Thanks to an offer of help that goes way way above and beyond ... to Sally who took pity on my ineptitude and became a personal trainer par excellence, knowing exactly what was needed each day to get me into shape, always so good-humoured and always there for speedy help at the end of an e-mail or tweet, she made me realise how unfocused my training was and turned me round in no time!

And thank you to my credit-crunch-busting sponsors (some who have already been mentioned) who took me to £50 a mile and beyond, I couldn't believe how many there were till counting them just now. Here goes ... Roo, Alan, Gillian, Lisa, Ann, James, Ray, Julie, Jennifer, Marie, David, Steve, Alicia, Chris, Janice, Martin, Rosy, Garj, Caroline, Joanna, David, Mike, Beatrice, Lynn, Pete, Nicola, Arpi, Sara, Sarah, Michelle, Pauline, Steve, Phil, Sue, Paul, Trev, Janet, Fi, Becki, Julia, Louise, David, Mario, Margaret, Brian, Sarah, Emma, Caroline, Janet, Leigh, Anne, Mary, Simon, David, Arjay, Kathryn, Matt, Pat, Graham, Andrew, Katie, Tash, Simon, Ben, Paul, Sally, Win, Jean, Beris, Mike, David, Sue, Steve, PH, Stuart, Cat, Annelise, Siobhan, Tanya, Gillian (again), Judy, Lynn (again), Phil, Jane, Rich, Zoe, Oli, Phil, Caroline, Anne, Louise, Lara, Mary, Hugh, Jean, Rachel, Babs, Jane, Cecile, Shirley, Jeff, Rob. Add to this the profits of a Coventry pub quiz and a Leamington Grand National sweepstakes!

And many more beyond this list have offered encouragement and good luck in messages of support. If this was the Oscars they'd be fading me out by now, so it's time to sign off and tuck into a Tusker beer courtesy of Save the Rhino!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you :)