Saturday 4 July 2009

Down but not out

I've discussed a lot whether I actually enjoy running or not yet. I've greatly enjoyed the two events I've run in, but struggle for enjoyment running, until the feeling of achievement kicks in.

One thing that I have realised though is the opposite kicks in - I can get down when I'm not running. Especially as I should be training and targeting for a half marathon in just three weeks now. Not running makes me feel like I'm failing.

So with that in mind, and just one short run behind me this week, I set off yesterday planning to run 5 miles or so.

Bit of a disaster though, after a mile or so with still a bit of stitch or heartburn, I changed my mind, walked, and ran a shortcut home. No point in killing myself when it didn't seem right, bur of course, mentally, I'm now even more disappointed than before I started.

So what went wrong? I've thought of lots of excuses ...

- 1. I don't run well late in the day. Probably true, after a long work day I just want to relax, and starting a run after 9pm I start to worry aobut whether I'll relax or sleep OK. Valididty: 7/10

- 2. I don't run well after an evening meal. I think this is true - it was almost two hours after my evening meal, and still felt sluggish. Validity: 8/10

- 3. I haven't been eating properly. Yes, true - not enough carb loading and too many cakes and ice creams this week. Validity: 7/10

- 4. Too hot. Hmm, well it was warm but it was 9pm so not exactly the midday sun. Validity: 3/10

- 5. I tried my usual route in reverse. Maybe I don't run anti-clockwise? Validity: 0/10. Now I'm just being silly.

I will though try not to get too disappointed by this, and will stick to my plan of a long 11/12 mile run on Sunday morning (tommorrow). That one is more important not to mess up. But I am still on track. Down, perhaps today even more down, but not out!

3 comments:

tash said...

Hope tomorrow goes better. Have also had a nightmare week for running and food and hence miserable. Compounded by the fact that I know I won't be able to run next week at all :-(

Rika said...

Guess it's a bad time of the year to do a Half Marathon. A friend of mine who usually loves running is struggling as well.

Hope you will get round it and see it as just an additional challenge that needs been tackled. Somewhere on your blog you said something like finding it difficult to getting a kick out of a new run, now that you did what you wanted to do. Probably the challenge of doing well in circumstances which are not the best can give you that kick!... and eat properly, damed! Silly boy...

Chin up! You are doing more than most of us... and once adrenalin kicks in you will be fine at the run!

Wishing you a lot of energy and lovely thoughts,
Rika

Sall_y said...

You have to WANT to run. Dint let running become another pressure in your life.

Perhaps try something different/ more sustainable, something you and Mrs R could do together, this would make it easier to fit into your life. Or you could remove the pressure of having a race goal and simy enjoy running for the pure pleasure of the outdoors and solitude. Run to keep healthy and fit.

9pm is quite an unnatural time to run. You could try doing a 30min session one lunchtime and a session on Saturday and Sunday, one short one longer.

Fitting a run in is hard in these manic times but try focusing on the good feeling it gives you afterwards.

Ice cream and cake are almost pure carbohydrate :-)