Wednesday 1 July 2009

One week on

So one week on from my optimistic long 10+ mile run - have I kept up the progress?

It's been two steps forward three steps back ... nothing is simple in my training! I don't mind too much as I think I have decent excuses.

The weekend was spent away from home, so running was out. I did take my running kit with the intention of finding a run on Sunday morning. But my weekend away was a stag weekend. I'm only human, I might have just learnt to run, but one thing I can't do is run with a hangover.

So my first run was on Monday. I think most of my readers and followers are in the UK so you will understand this - right now we have a heatwave. On Monday the evening was warm so I left my run till gone 9pm. I ran 2.8 miles, to the Jubilee Lake, once round, and back home, trying to run to 10 minute mile pace. Or, to be more technical and accurate, 10 and a bit minute mile pace.

Sure enough, I was pleased to complete my run in 29 minutes. At about 10 and a bit mile pace. The odd thing was that according to my Garmin, my heart rate was lower than usual. The day was hot, I was a little stressed, and puffing somewhat, so would have expected the opposite!

Next stage of the plan was to run tonight (Wednesday). It was 32 degrees today, and I just can't face the run. Other people in my position might cross-train, perhaps a bike ride or a swim instead? But I don't do running or swimming. 12 months ago I didn't do running! One thing at a time ...

So I'm feeling a little bad at my lack of running recently. Tomorrow I will try and get out after 9pm again whatever if it's still hot, which it will be. I just hope the heatwave has passed by the end of the year and the MK half marathon.

1 comment:

tash said...

I'm struggling too!