Sunday 26 July 2009

It's all gone quiet ...

As the title said, my blog has gone a bit quiet. So what happened?

In training terms, not a lot has happened. A combination of a wedding weekend, a mild virus and a lack of organisation meant I week went by without running. My Milton Keynes deadline was looming but the miles are decreasing, not increasing.

Fast forward to July 19th, just a couple of short runs since my last blog and the need to get in one final long run before the half marathon. In the interest of "tapering" I didn't want to get to 12-13 miles, but woefully short on practice of longer runs I did need to at least hit 10 miles.

Setting off in the pouring rain I planned my possible routes but didn't run out into the country, deciding instead to run short laps in Bicester. This was probably doomed to failure as I really struggled to two, three miles and beyond. I just didn't have the motivation. The only way I could convince myself I would even reach five miles was to tell myself that was as far as I was going.

And in the final week? Just two short treadmill runs to avoid the rain and tick off the bare minimum of training.

A lot of people asked if I was still running, or those in the know asked about Milton Keynes coming up this weekend. My now very over-used line is that I am running Milton Keynes on Sunday 26th (now today) but haven't done enough training. No expectations, no promises. It feels like I'm only happy to run it with a ready made excuse. And I've not done anything close to 13 miles for a long time now ...

No comments: