Thursday 9 July 2009

Slow and steady

Still struggling - yesterday's run was all about making sure I had at least one chance to run this week, and making sure I didn't either fail or hate it. Wish these weren't my struggles so close to a half marathon but I have to be realistic.

I also need to think how my training (or lack of it) has gone. I can't really expect to go faster than previous half marathons, as I haven't put in the miles for that. I'm sure I have the potential, but can't beat myself up going for it when I'm not ready. I find it hard enough to think of myself as a runner, but I can never expect myself to be a good one! Completing a marathon is good enough anyway, isn't it?

So, the sole aim for yesterday was to run, not to go too fast, and not to watch the Garmin the whole time round, as it would only make me think too much about pace. Again I went out at 9pm and I knew it would be hard enough dealing with running after a meal and late in the day.

With that in mind, mission accomplished. Four miles down, time not important, pace slow and steady. On a nice evening I found a whole twisty maze of Bicester's cycle paths I didn't know about, and returned home 4.02 miles later. With a wedding to go to there's no more running till Sunday, and by then I will have banned alcohol and cakes!

No comments: