Sunday 28 December 2008

Forrest Gump

Following my earlier update, I am now back to blogging on the day of the run.

Well today I felt like Forrest Gump. I got on the treadmill, ran, ran some more, and didn't stop for an hour. I still can't quite believe it. I am full of turkey, chocolate, cheese and mince pies just like everyone else, so quite how I went fully 20 minutes longer than ever before, with such an inconsistent few weeks behind me, I don't know. But I do feel triumphant, and am telling everybody I know!

The most impressive thing is it was 1.8 °C in the garage, though the nerdy scientist in me noticed that 20 minutes of running had raised the tempereature in my garage by a full degree and a half. I at least now know that cold weather doesn't put me off though am yet to try sub-zero ...

I have to work out some runs and get outside - the main thing now is boredom. Today I thought about so many things and so many people. It was thinking about this that got me from 0-40 without realising it, though I must have run it all or I would have fallen off the treadmill. The things and people I thought about ... well that's not really for this blog but I don't know that I can do that every time, I don't have the imagination to sustain me for another hour if I do it again in a couple of days.

I will run again between now and the New Year and set new targets - so far, I have, to my amazement, hit them all, so ... so far so good. And now, like Forest Gump (tenuous reference alert) I am going to go and demolish a large section of our box of chocolates.

No comments: