Wednesday 31 December 2008

Agoraphobia

Today I decided I really need to start running outside, pounding the mean streets of Bicester. I've used the MapMyRun website to determine a few possible routes, starting with a circuit calculated at 3.5 miles here

The difficulty I found today, and am likely always to find, is that I don't really like running yet. If I get tired, or out of breath, my brain has no problem telling me to walk for a little bit. On a treadmill that's not really an option, but at least there I know that when I've had enough I am still home, so can keep going as far as possible.

On the road I don't have that luxury, and was aware that until I got half way, I was running further and further away from home. And there is no other way to put this, it was cold. Zero degrees was tricky for my first run outdoors.

You can probably tell I'm lining up the factors and excuses before I start. In the end I ran about one mile, stopped, and decided to turn round for home, walking for a bit then running again home. So instead of a 3.5 mile run, I just managed 1.5 miles or so and half a mile or so walking. Probably very similar to the composition of my Santa run in similar circumstances

I'm not beating myself up about it - it was an OK start, and the cold was so much that it has given me shortness of breath and coughing fits for several hours since! I think I now know my New Year goal, by the end of January I will try to run 6 miles (8 would be nice) outside on the streets, and I will look to run more and more away from the treadmill.

If anyone is reading this ... Happy New Year!!

3 comments:

tash said...

Well done on getting outside. Let me know if you are after a running partner.

Neil said...

Thanks tash - have only just seen your comment as I thought this blog was largely commentless. Glad you are following!

Are you preparing for London too?

tash said...

no, just trying to get fit! Max so far is about 6 miles but I am so slow that last time I was out I got taunted by hoodies by the Bure Park co-op! Put me off a bit.