Tuesday 2 December 2008

week 18

Well now I finally feel I can run for half an hour I'm probably ready to skip the treadmill and brave the public. But the thermometer outside (Tuesday) says 0.0°C, so no chance.

But it's a strange life I lead. I am now sharing the garage with 18 slices of decaying bread at varying stages. Still, this is a blog about training for the marathon, not studying for a science degree which I am also doing alongside 50 hour weeks at work and 70 mile daily commutes, it's just at times like this I wonder how and why I ever considered doing all three!

So back to the run - though I'm pleased with my progress I have checked in with how other Rhino runners are doing, and all are doing better than I am. Yes we all have different fitness levels and targets, and perhaps it's only those doing well who report on their progress, but it has reminded me that I can't stop.

The treadmill it is then, and in fact the temperature in the garage was still only 3.8°C, and I had no specific target in mind only to hit 30 minutes as a minimum and see what more I could do. As usual I felt fine after 8 minutes but like I'd done about 25 at that point. At 14-15 minutes I felt very heavy-legged, and into the twenties it seemed better, until 29 minutes when I wanted to stop. I don't mind all these mental and physical barriers but I can't help thinking they should be happening at 10, 20 and 25 miles, not just minutes in!

Still in the end I ran through and completed 33 minutes, a new best. I'd hoped for 35 or 40 but did start to feel short of breath - still treading that delicate balance between pushing myself harder each time and not killing myself!

No comments: