Friday 3 April 2009

Last training before Sunday's long run

Excuse the expression but I think I've just done a Fartlek. Today's mission was to warm up jog for 10 minutes, then run at pace (approx 80% maximum heart rate, i.e. hard but not flat out) for 4 minutes, then recover for 2 - repeating for 4 repetitions.

This was hard work - apologies to anyone who saw me pegging up and down the cycle path on the Bicester ring road wondering what on earth was going well. But, thinking about it, it was the fastest I have run in possibly 20 years or more, at least for a sustained period of as little as four minutes.

But I more or less stuck to my brief. I think the stretch I had marked out for this was actually about three and a half minutes, so I tried to compensate by resting for just one and half. But it got tough - after the third leg I allowed myself the full two minutes rest, and the fourth rep took closer to four minutes as I didn't maintain the pace of the first three.

But mission more or less accomplished - when I have done my long run on Sunday I will have done five sessions this week, my busiest week ever. I'm working for this, and so far feeling good. The fundraising is going well but still has a bit to go (http://www.justgiving.com/neilrichards1) but every donation makes me feel good too.

Three and a half hours on Sunday ... !

No comments: