Sunday 19 April 2009

One more week

A one hour run today at relaxed steady pace. The more I taper the more sluggish I feel and the more I think too much about next week's marathon.

Today was a hot sunny day so I set off at five o'clock - even at 5pm it felt hot and a bit uncomfortable - to be honest for two or three miles I really didn't enjoy this run. I was never going to pull up and walk, but I really still don't feel like a runner, more like an ordinary guy who is unnaturally trying to run.

But the last couple of miles were in the shade and they were fine. Just as I was expecting to struggle on and blog how much I didn't enjoy it, it all felt a little easier. It turns out that I covered about 5.3 miles and I actually completed it in about 57 minutes. At a smidgen quicker than eleven minute mile pace I've gone a little faster than I could have done, so am quite happy with that.

I have to remember that the first mile or two is always tricky - though next week at the marathon I doubt I will even notice. In the meantime I am stashing up on vitamin C and hay fever medication and hoping to get through the week in one piece ...

No comments: