Wednesday 1 April 2009

What really happened ...

OK so people have noticed that my last post was on April 1st before 12 noon. Make up your own minds! But read between the lines and see my optimism is back - I'm enjoying running and training at the moment, if that's the right word, and I think that running in the light at 6pm is helping that feeling.

So my brief today was to do some hill running, so I chose the incline up to the railway bridge going into Launton, just a minute or two from my home.

My brief was:
- Find a hill that takes about 1 min to ascend.
- Warm up by jogging to it for ten mins.
- On each rep of the hill run at a strong pace (not sprinting) turn straight round and jog slowly to the bottom then run straight back up.
- Do 6 reps

And here's what I actually did ...
- Found a hill that takes about 1 min to ascend.
- Warmed up by jogging to it for ten mins (five minutes along the cycle track and back)
- On each rep of the hill ran at a strong pace (not sprinting) turned straight round and jogged slowly to the bottom then ran straight back up.
- Did 6 reps or possibly 7 as I lost count at one point

It feels great that I am in good enough shape to do this kind of thing - it seemed daunting, even the ten minute warm up was tricky but it did seem to loosen up the legs which were aching still at the start.

And then as I faced the hill I thought there was no way I could run hard up six times without stopping. But I kind of forget, I'm a runner now. I can do 15 miles or almost 3 hours, the hill should have no fear in an exercise that's only going to take 20 minutes or so. And indeed it didn't. I can't deny I'm looking forward to a night off running tomorrow, but all is going well this week. Especially considering I ran a cheeky marathon this morning ;-)

No comments: