Friday 27 March 2009

One month to go

Today I decided to do a gentle run - 40 minutes or so at easy pace on a treadmill. This week has been a tricky one for me, following the weekend's disappointment, as I have still been suffering a little with headaches and hay fever. Original intention was to run yesterday but I put that off.

However yesterday I got some great advice - a personal trainer I have got to know has given me detailed advice to get me from my current state to a marathon runner in four weeks, and I will be doing everything I can to stick to it. I'm incredibly grateful for this help!

First thing of all, I've broken two rules of advice already today on day one. First of all was to rest today ... however I'm not sure that took account of my inactivity this week so I preferred to get back running. Really I just want to feel like a runner again! I think to do my long run at the weekend without one more additional run would have been mentally very difficult. So essentially I've swapped yesterday for today in my plan.

Second was to stay off the treadmill! I completely agree that this isn't simulating marathon running enough. But today was late and this was an "extra" run ... but there will now be a metaphorical blanket thrown over the treadmill.

I have diet advice too but I won't bore you with that ... but a final change is to try the long runs on Saturdays, which means that tomorrow I will be trying a three hour run! Will be aimining for elapsed time rather than distance but I estimate this would be 16 miles or so. We'll see - wish me better luck than last weekend!

No comments: