Monday 30 March 2009

Recovery Run

I'm on a proper training schedule now - I've had a fantastic offer of help from now to the big day from a personal trainer and after last Sunday's debacle I'd be mad not to take it. Having already messed it up slightly by running on Sunday instead of Saturday I owe it to her and myself to follow the rest of the schedule.

So, that is why I ran today. It seems mad - the day after a long run. My legs are still aching, albeit slightly, mainly just when I get up from my chair or walk downstairs. But the idea of a recovery run, I'm told, is to loosen the legs and help disperse waste products from the muscles. Well I knew I needed the former, if not the latter.

Twenty minute easy run - for minutes one to five I was cursing, feeling barely able to run and no different to mile fifteen yesterday. But before I knew it, it actually started to feel better. And as often happens on these things, minutes nineteen and twenty were the best two (though I was perfectly happy to stop!).

Legs loosened, check. Waste products dispersed from muscles, well presumably ... check.

1 comment:

ulen said...

So *that* is what a recovery run is for! I've done a few and I never quite see the point, but a plan is a plan. I had a 20 minute recovery session this evening too. I hope it did us both some good!