Friday 6 March 2009

Onwards and upwards

A day off work today meant I felt I should definitely run this afternoon. I'm never sure what to do in the two runs a week that aren't the long Sunday run now - it feels like I should be doing something different to a slow short to medium run, so after interval training earlier in the week. So although it was a nice sunny but chilly afternoon, probably perfect for running, I opted for a run on the treadmill, setting the incline up to the highest level.

In the winter, treadmill running was in the garage, and so cold, but right now the treadmill is in the conservatory. I soon realised that running in 18°C in an enclosed space with the sun shining would be a bigger challenge than the incline, well an additional challenge anyway. The windows and doors stay closed out of respect to the neighbours (not that they ever show us any), as the treadmill can get loud ...

Probably looks like I'm making excuses already. I've found now that my mental challenges of treadmill versus outdoor running have almost completely reversed! Now, if I'm outside, I know that stopping won't get me home any quicker! Whereas inside, on the treadmill, I can start without a particular target in mind, just stop when I feel like it and walk back into the kitchen.

Anyhow, despite preloading this post with excuses, I did run an uphill 25 minutes in the hottest conditions I've run in so far, and I'm moderately happy with that. I thought I'd run anything from about 30 to 50, and I probably could have kept going, but I have at least had a decent workout. I certainly sweated more than I did running 12+ miles on Sunday, bizarrely enough!

I think the problem is that 2.5 miles sounds so pathetic in relation to the 13 or so I will run on Sunday, the 13.1 that I will definitely have to run in 9 days, and the 26.2 I need to get up to for the end of next month! I shouldn't feel like this really, but I feel that I stopped too soon and have slightly wasted one of my three slots for the week ... and in hindsight regret running outdoors on what would have been a lovely afternoon. Oh well, onwards and upwards!

No comments: