Sunday 1 March 2009

Wrong turning - half marathon by mistake

Well I set off on my run this morning - advice from my Marathon-running doctor was to take an isotonic drink with me and run on the roads, rather than the pavements, much better on the feet. I really wish that Lucozade Sport in a clear plastic running bottle didn't look quite so much like I was carrying a full specimen bottle with me, but never mind, in my day-glo polyester people won't notice what's in my hands.

As mentioned yesterday I had my route planned, and ran into Launton. Unfortunately there's a short steepish hill to go over a bridge into the village, and half a mile into my run I already felt ready to stop! Once that was over though, I turned towards Stratton Audley, with the intention of then heading back to Bicester and then running my usual routes within Bicester.

However I missed my turning. I knew immediately I was doing it, but didn't really care. For possibly the first time, I really enjoyed (most of) this run. Because I was out in the country, everything was quiet, it just felt like a Sunday morning drive, without the car!

One scary moment on the road to Stoke Lyne - I hit a pothole in the road and turned over on the outside of my right foot, the same part of the same foot that I had checked out recently. I kept going and felt no ill effects, so thankfully that was a false alarm.

From then on though, at no time did I have any idea how far I'd run, or what the time was, so I made the whole thing up. I was running well, but was determined not to turn back to Bicester too soon, I just knew I'd be devastated if I got back and found my route was only 9 miles for the third week running. So I continued to Stoke Lyne, onto the B4100, back towards Bicester and then on to Bucknell.

See my route here

I knew I'd gone miles, just not how many, and halfway from Bucknell back to Bicester I stopped to walk. The part I was most please with was that after a mile and half or so walking, I was able to start again and run the last mile and a half with no ill effects. Previously when I have stopped to walk, I've felt unable to run again for much more than a short distance, but in this case I was fine all the way home. On the map above, I had run 11 miles, then walked from 11 to 12.5, then run from 12.5 to 14.

With no internet connection when I got home, and then a long lunch with friends, it was a long time before I could get online and find out just how far my run had been. To my amazement it was 14 miles, all covered in 2 hours 30 which seemed a fast time considering the walking stint. So I'm delighted with this, I've run a half marathon by mistake! And on schedule for a 5 hour marathon which would be just fine by me.

3 comments:

Phil said...

Isn't is bizarre when it "clicks" and you suddenly seem to enojy the running?
Sadly, it's a bit too few and far between for me...

tash said...

still waiting for it to click. Started running again at the gym but give up far too soon. Can't get past the 3k mark at the moment. Your progress is pretty inspiring.

Neil said...

Thanks Tash - I'm glad if it's inspiring as I've ablsolutely started from nothing, but I really do take encouragement from your comments and everyone else's.

I've found a couple of barriers I've struggled to get past, some a lot less than 3k, but thankfully managed each time, I'm sure you'll find the same :o)