Saturday 27 September 2008

Gym'll fix it

I hate having to put titles to each entry - this one's rubbish but I've got to put something there ... it should describe my first and possibly last ever visit to a gym.

Monday-Friday I've been away this week in a holiday village down south (no Internet connection hence posting on Saturday). There is a gym there though which is free with the accomodation so I decided to try it on Wednesday.

At my induction earlier in the day the bloke looked somewhat surprised that I'd never been in a gym before. Perhaps not so surprised when he clocked my physique but it was a brand new experience for me. I've always thought i'd find them intimidating - this was no exception although it wasn't too busy. All the treadmills are lined up on one side opposite a full length mirrored wall, and all the other cross-training machines on the opposite side next to the windows. Either way, you are on full show.

I did my bit - stepping up to 3 minute runs straddling my 1 minute walks, and the metric scale (kilometres, not miles) made me psychologically thing I was going faster and further. I couldn't help being completely overwhelmed by the fit (literally) blonde to my left running at least twice my speed, sprinting in front of the mirror at breakneck speed.

I really didn't like what I saw in front of me in the mirror - I can tell that I'm a large bloke plodding, barely lifting my feet from the floor and jogging incredibly slowly. I know that a 10 minute mile is slow, and a target speed for a 4.5 hour marathon. I'm not yet running that quickly, and that's even for my short bursts at the moment. Suddenly April seems very close ...

Anyway 20 minues with 15 minutes running is a PB (see, I'm sounding like an athlete now).

Later that day my wife went swimming and mentioned that all the treadmills are on display in the swimming pool. Perhaps the full length mirrors are one-way mirrors? Urggghh.

No comments: