Sunday 8 February 2009

8 miles



This is the scene of the cycle path around Bicester and also reminiscent of some of the pavements around the ringroad, so despite best intentions it is not safe to run on the streets at the moment. Apologies for fans waiting to watch me tour the streets, you will have to wait.

I now have new jogger-proof headphones and a fully loaded iPod to try and make the long treadmill sessions less boring. An early start and not too much procrastination meant I started my run at 9am exactly - only just as I started did I realise the significance that this will also be the time of day when I start the Silverstone Half Marathon (five weeks) and the Marathon itself (eleven weeks I think)

As always, getting started was tricky but once in my stride the first hour went fine. Running in the conservatory, in an enclosed room, whatever the temperature or ventilation, I always get so much hotter and sweatier than when running outside and today was no exception, though it didn't prevent me continuing to run.

My intention was to do at least 75 minutes so as to match my previous personal best, and go anywhere up to 90 depending on how I felt. As I hit 70 minutes I was fine to continue but starting to get tired, and at 77 and a bit, the playlist on my iPod stopped, which seemed like the cue to go too much further.

In any case, I completed 80 minutes, which equates to 8 miles, and have done my long run for the week with a new personal best distance/time elapsed. Next week will need to match this distance on the roads, working slowly up to 13 for Silverstone. Sounds easy when I just say it now ...

2 comments:

tash said...

Well Done!

Neil said...

Thank you - getting there!