Friday 13 February 2009

I won't back down

Still ice in crucial parts of Bicester which means that yesterday's run would be on the treadmill. I chose my running partner for the day (Tom Petty's Greatest hits on the iPod) and decided to put the treadmill on the highest incline. I wasn't sure how far I'd run and couldn't help thinking my strategy of chooing a Greatest Hits album, because they are generally longer, was a little on the optimistic side.

The incline feels like hard work to start with, and I make sure that I run at the same pace as usual even though I am running uphill - by the end of American Girl I was struggling somewhat. Worrying, as American Girl is the first track on the album. As always I managed to find a rhythm, but halfway through Refugee I felt my back leg go, and almost staggered off the back of the treadmill.

Once again I was able to continue and somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes I felt ready to stop. However I didn't want to stop when Even the Losers was playing, as it somehow would have felt appropriate. At 25 minutes, at a less appropriate song, I called it quits.

Reasonably happy in as much as I have worked hard to cover 2.5 miles uphill. My next two runs this week need to be longer though, and hopefully outdoors if the ice will finally melt ...

No comments: