Thursday 19 February 2009

Injury strikes ...

Well Sunday's nine mile run really seems to have taken it out of me, which worries me a bit - it was a great achievement but have I inadvertently hit my limit?

The next few days I felt very stiff, which was fine, and understandable, and wore off after 24 hours or so. But my right foot was sore if I walked more than 100 yards or so, an ache on the outside of the base half way along.

It doesn't seem major but it has put me off training a little bit - I've had it checked out by the doctor and it seems to be just a bit of inflammation in the tendon. Biggest problem seems to be I have very flat feet indeed, and the shoes I wear (every day, not running shoes) just don't really help.

But the show must go on - having put off my next training until now I decided yesterday (Thursday) to give it a go and see if I could run through it. As it happens it seemed fine, with decent socks and shoes all seemed well supported, and as I write on Friday morning I'm feeling no after effects

The run itself - just taking it easy with 30 minutes (3 miles) on a flat treadmill. Although the foot seemed to hold up, I felt rusty already, quite heavy-legged and stiff, so it seems even three days off is having an effect now! That said, I did run 30 minutes without difficulty, and am glad to have got that out of the way. No rest for the wicked ...

No comments: