Tuesday 3 February 2009

Upping the speed

Tuesday night and time for another run - with snow on the ground outside I plucked for the treadmill.

This time I wanted to push myself running faster. My treadmill says I run at 5 miles per hour, but I don't believe this as I run 10 minute mile pace outside, so I have always assumed the treadmill pace was wrong. In any case I upped the speed to 6 miles per hour, so one thing I do know is that I ran 20% faster than before. Translating this like the mathematician I am, I managed to convince myself that I was running as about 8 minute mile pace.

With that in mind I began running, and though it seemed difficult at first I ended up having no problem running 32 minutes, so an estimated 4 miles at faster pace. I'm not sticking religiously to a specific training schedule but they do now suggest that I should be doing more hill running and faster paced stuff so I think I'm ticking those boxes nicely.

Thanks to all who are following either here or in person, the encouragement is genuinely helping and I still feel really optimistic about this. At the moment I really don't know what my limits are, so here's hoping they are about 27 miles or more!

No comments: