Monday 16 February 2009

New best - nine miles

Sunday arrived where I planned my nine mile run, and by lunchtime the skies were grey and the heavens opened. I've never run in rain before and was not looking forward to it for my longest run yet, but it had to be done. In the end I put it off to about 4pm and the weather was much better. A stroke of luck to help with my aim of running at least nine miles.

This was hard work, perhaps because this was now my third run in four days. The legs felt heavier all the way round, though as I got to the end of my first two loops at just under six miles, I was still OK. I'd told myself I had three options - to stop there, to run a "small loop" and therefore hit about eight miles, or run the full 3.5 mile loop again to total 9.25 miles (though possibly a bit less due to cutting off a small corner where the two loops coincide.

I didn't feel up to it but was annoyed at myself for even considering not completing my challenge of nine miles, so I did the full extra loop and finished it. The hardest time of all was the first half a mile or so of the third loop, running away from home knowing I could easily have stopped. I told myself I could run half a mile, or a mile, into this loop and then turn back, perhaps as some kind of compromise, but the reminder that in 9 weeks time I would be running 26 was enough of a spur to make sure I went the distance.

I finished, and checked the clock at home, while it is not an exact science due to a brisk walk to and from my starting point, and the possible inaccuracies of measuring the route, I was a bit disappointed to see that it took me about 95 minutes for about 9 miles, so perhaps slipping slightly slower than 10 minute mile pace, but was delighted to finish.

However … as I blog this on Monday … I still ache! Immediately after my run I could barely make it up and (especially) down the stairs! And almost 24 hours later I am still stiff of leg and aching on the outside of my right foot. I don't know if this will subside in time for my next run, but I do know this is a challenge I haven't faced before …!

3 comments:

tash said...

Nice one - nearly there!

Anonymous said...

You'll get used to the aching, Neil - just make sure you're stretching your ITB as well as the rest of your muscles and you'll be fine!

Soon the morning-after-the-run-the-day-before aching feeling will be perfectly normally, I promise...

Neil said...

Thanks both - comments much appreciated, makes me determined to keep up the blogging and the jogging!