Monday 2 February 2009

Sunday

Well Sunday I had the house to myself - my wife and even the dogs were nowhere to be seen, so it was the perfect opportunity for a long run. It was also, as UK followers will know, the start of a cold snap, so the longer I procrastinated the colder it would get and the more chance I gave myself to talk myself out of a run outside or slip away to the ttreadmill.

As 4pm came along I finally plucked up the courage to go and run. I'm still a little self-conscious of running on the street. And this time, as every other time so far, if only just once, a car beeped and flashed me as I went past. It could have been a friend offering genuine encouragement, or it could have been general abuse at a funny looking fat bloke in a hat running slowly. My self-esteem suspects the latter so I tend to run face forward and down - if you were after attention and encouragement in Bicester on Sunday then apologies!!

I ran the 3.5 mile loop from my house with the intention of either doing two loops for 7 miles or the smaller loop for a little less than six. The run went fine until I approached home for the first time - very cold and running into a biting wind, but otherwise fine. I went for the small loop - we can always build up - and to my delight just kept on running. After the first mile or so, I felt no desire to stop, even running through a snow shower in the last mile!

As I returned home after almost 6 miles I genuinely felt I could have done at least another lap, either large or small. With six weeks till the Silverstone half marathon I suppose that's good news as that step up has to come soon. I think I said my goal was to run 6 miles outside by the end of January.

I'll settle for five and three quarters on Februrary first - pretty chuffed!

No comments: