Saturday 4 October 2008

Week whatever last week was plus one more

Lots to post about but as I'm only posting each time I'm running, the long gap gives the game away a bit. It's Saturday and my first run of the week so it's been a bit of a shocker. And it's been so long that I don't even know what week it is to put in the title.

I was going to get topical and mention the new world marathon record - Haile Gebrselassie broke the record with an amazing 2 hours 3 minutes 59 seconds. I wouldn't mind but it hardly seems fair - he'll only have to run for a couple of minutes over 2 hours whereas at this rate I'll have to run closer to five hours. He could do it twice and still have time for lunch in between. The most depressing thing? If he runs the London Marathon in 2009 he'll be 36. So will I. I can't even use age as an excuse for my ineptitude.

(PS, thanks to Wikipedia here for Mr Gebrselassie's age and spelling. There's a fantastic line there though, right at the top - "Not to be confused with Haile Salassie I of Ethiopia" ! )

Another reason I haven't run is I've taken up swimming on Fridays instead. It should be noted I'm as good at swimming as I am at running. Enough said. I can't swim. There have been a few lessons but I've just got the point where I can't get past that certain barrier of breathing properly and relaxing in the water, for several weeks I can't get past a basic point - the real frustration is the assumption that each week you get a little bit better, but now it's just not happening ...

No prizes for spotting the parallel with my running at the moment. Just now, I ran. For really not very long at all - another day just as bad as last Saturday night. I even sat on the treadmill for an extra 10 minutes so I could come back into the house and not admit to stopping barely minutes after I started, but I'm rubbish at hiding things, so my wife, and the two dogs, soon knew. And after sitting on the treadmill for 10 minutes there was a worrying beep, either to tell me I'd stopped running/fallen off, or was applying too much weight to the thing just by sitting on it. Either way, I got the hint.

It's been a hard week - I'm also working hard every day and squeezing in revising for an exam on Wednesday. My Saturday night isn't even over as I have an essay to finish on the extent of reframing development as amelioration of disordered faults of progress. So I have to understand why this week was a bad week and see light at the end of the tunnel this time next week. I think also I should set a target for myself and write it down for the world to see - by the end of October I will be running at least 5 mintues at a time for 4 repetitions. Watch this space for progress on my October 31st blog entry.

I've got to end on a positive - 14 stone 4.5 this morning which means I have lost 5.5 pounds since starting running. At least I can be marginally slimmer and rubbish at running.

No comments: